This one is all about reframing the negative, avoidant, and prescription-driven social programming around mental health, and more importantly, mental illness. Our guest today, Dr. Daniel Amen, asks a question that illustrates a fascinating contrast… What if brain health was mental health?
We parse vocabulary throughout the conversation, how words can mean so much when it comes between a person feeling hopeless in their symptoms and understanding that they are still in control of their health, no matter their diagnosis.
He sheds light on a range of interesting subjects, from categorizing anxiety and depression into seven categories and a deep dive on reading brain scans, to the bombardment of subconscious illness messaging we face in our day-to-day lives and squishing the ANTs in our mind (automatic negative thoughts).
Tweaking our mindset, changing our diets, moving our body – the smallest things can make the biggest difference in our brain health, and as a result, in our quality of life; sometimes it is that simple. Visit brainhealthassessment.com to take a brain assessment for yourself and learn more about your body’s most critical organ.
- Read:You, Happier by Dr. Daniel Amen
- Take a Brain Assessment:brainhealthassessment.com
- Follow Dr. Daniel Amen on Instagram:@doc_amen
- Follow Dr. Daniel Amen on Facebook:@drdanielamen
- Follow Dr. Daniel Amen on TikTok:@docamen
- Read:The Big Silence: A Daughter's Memoir of Mental Illness and Healing
- Follow Karena Dawn on Instagram:@karenadawn
- Follow The Big Silence on Instagram:@The.Big.Silence
- Subscribe:The Big Silence YouTube Channel
Donate to The Big Silencethebigsilence.com/donate to be a part of the movement to break the silence and make noise with us!
“The Big Silence” theme song written and performed byJames Nicholas Kinney.
Executive Handyman, Bobby Goldstein.
The Big Silence is produced byCrate Media.