Rafael De La Fuente, known for his role as Sammy Jo on Dynasty, joins the show for this very special Pride Month episode where he takes us through his experience, as a gay Latino immigrant, rising as a young actor, dealing with the stress and pressures of the business, and growing into an advocate for kids he hopes to inspire.
His journey begins at about five-years old, in 1990, when he notices that he’s different. With the AIDS epidemic providing a stark background to his early years, he gets honest about the shame and confusion he grappled with through school and while breaking into television.
Today, he has a wildly successful career in show business and millions of fans around the world. Rafael’s struggles, and especially his triumphs, are important to highlight, this month and every month, as our society continues to grapple with the idea of personhood and privacy. We are so glad he was able to join the show and we’re excited to present his story to our community.
- Follow Rafael De La Fuente on Instagram:@rafaeldlf
- Follow Rafael De La Fuente on Twitter:@rafaeldlf
- Every.org:Your trusted network for doing good
- Read:The Big Silence: A Daughter's Memoir of Mental Illness and Healing
- Follow Karena Dawn on Instagram:@karenadawn
- Follow The Big Silence on Instagram:@The.Big.Silence
- Subscribe:The Big Silence YouTube Channel
“The Big Silence” theme song written and performed byJames Nicholas Kinney.
Executive Handyman, Bobby Goldstein.The Big Silence is produced byCrate Media.