Snake Sabo spent years suffering in silence, afraid to talk about his experiences with severe depression, anxiety, trauma, and self-harm. Now, he speaks openly about his journey and shares our passion for breaking the stigma around mental health.
We’re thrilled to welcome Snake Sabo, a legendary musician and the guitarist of heavy metal band Skid Row. In this vulnerable conversation, Snake opens up about receiving a mental health diagnosis in the 1970s, before any information or support was available to him. He shares stories of overcoming generational trauma, abuse, and self-harm as a teenager. We talk about how he found his calling as a musician, how he got his nickname from Jon Bon Jovi, and the healing power of music. We also explore how he supports his mental health on tour, and the tools he turns to today to manage anxiety and depression.
What stands out to me the most is how the stigmas Snake faced in the 70s and 80s still persist today. “The big silence is what makes this thing become perpetual,” he said. We’re breaking those patterns with conversations like this. Thank you for being a part of our movement!
Remember – for the month of September, in collaboration with National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, we're seeking your support to raise $10,000 to help 100 people through our Therapy for All program.Support the fundraiser here.
- Skid Row:skidrow.com
- Tour Schedule:skidrow.com/tour
- Podcast:You Don’t Have To Suffer for Your Art with Lindsey Morgan
- Tone It Up 2023 Fall Power Up Challenge:toneitup.com/powerup
- Read:The Big Silence: A Daughter's Memoir of Mental Illness and Healing
- Follow Karena Dawn on Instagram:@karenadawn
- Follow The Big Silence on Instagram:@The.Big.Silence
- Subscribe:The Big Silence YouTube Channel
- Therapy For All:Resources for those in need
Donate to The Big Silencethebigsilence.com/donate to be a part of the movement to break the silence and make noise with us!
“The Big Silence” theme song written and performed byJames Nicholas Kinney.
Producer, Bobby Goldstein.
The Big Silence is produced byCrate Media.